EHPA Heat Pump Statistics 2004
- The quality of statistical data provided from 13 European countries differ considerably. Only seven countries can provide (more or less) reliable statistics. However, these countries are representing approximately 80% of the national markets considered.
- No official data from Southern Europe available at all.
- Total sales of space heating HPs: Around 208.000 units (including heat recovery and reversible HPs, excluding tap water only HPs). Approximately 3 Mio air-conditioners with heat pump function predominantly used for cooling purposes in Southern Europe are disregarded.
- Increase of sales vs 2003 of the most important markets: more than 30% (see Table). During the last five years countries like Austria (136%) and Germany (120%) realized a remarkable market increase.
- The market share of HPs on the heating markets differs considerably from country to country (e.g. for new buildings between around 8% in Germany and 80% in Sweden).
- Sweden is clearly the dominating market: Over 100.000 units sold in 2004, 60% of them heating only HPs (mostly brine/water Hps; including heat recovery HPs) and 40% reversible HPs (air-source systems predominantly used for heating purposes). Exhaust air HPs are installed in more than 90% of all new single-family houses.
- Heating only: Ground source HPs are the dominating systems in most countries.
- Reversible HPs (air-source HPs predominantly used for heating purposes) are the dominating systems in Norway (90%), Finland (63%).
- D-A-CH countries and NL: Obviously not yet a remarkable market for reversible HPs.
- Joint efforts to improve reliability and completeness of data are required.
- Main emphasis is to be placed on Southern European countries and information concerning stock of installed systems.